Youth Empowered for Success (Y.E.S.) is designed to encourage youth to discover positive pathways to education and training that lead to high demand careers. GSUL leverages in-house services and access services provided by its partners; to offer the best possible opportunities to our youth. We engage and reengage youth, provide clear pathways, strong supports, and other elements critical to the success of youth. The program has a dual emphasis on youth leadership development and workforce development. The youth development component focuses on leadership skills, civic engagement, professionalism, reliability, leadership skills and the ability to adapt or fit into a company’s culture.
The Comcast Digital Connectors program trains youth ages 14-21 from diverse, low-income backgrounds in Internet and computer skills. Teens meet weekly after school and have the option to earn a Cisco IT Essentials certification of completion. Teens learn digital media concepts – video editing, programming, graphic design and animation. Comcast Digital Connectors is a community service program, as participants volunteer throughout the community and spread digital literacy in our community. Through training and service, Comcast Digital Connectors is preparing today’s youth for the jobs of tomorrow.
We strive to prepare youth 18-24 years old to be highly competitive for entry level position in the job market while planning and preparing for their education and career paths. We help young people with the following:
- Create job search strategies and communicate effectively with potential employers.
- Understand professional etiquette and work culture involving e-mail, social networking, ring back tones, etc.
- Gain a better understanding of healthy financial practices.
- Gain a better understanding of youth and employee rights.
- Understand the connection between education and employment (job v. career).
- Attend monthly Workshops covering varies topics about employment and education.